Finding a good quality USB microphone in the low-medium price range can be quite challenging as there are a number of microphones available in the market. Therefore it is important to keep the below parameters in mind while buying a microphone that fits your budget and meets your requirements. Let’s start the epic mic battle: at2020 vs blue yeti!
AT2020 vs Blue Yeti – Quick Overview Table+
AT2020 vs Blue Yeti – Which One To Choose?
AUDIO TECHNICA AT-2020
- The price/performance standard in side address studio condenser microphone technology
The AT2020 is considered the best USB microphone for music by many loyalists especially in the lower price range. It is very easy to use and is capable of delivering professional quality voice recording.
The most desired feature of any USB microphone is plug and play and the AT2020 does just that. One just has to plug in the mic and it is ready for action.
Although the AT2020 is not packed with many features, one cannot deny that the sound quality delivered is the best among the various microphones.
The AT2020 can also record music. It is a good mic for voiceovers, commentary and podcasts.
The AT2020 comes with a user manual and is delivered in a fine looking leather case. The USB cable and a mic stand along with the screws are included in the package.
- Custom three-capsule array: produces clear, powerful, broadcast-quality sound for YouTube, game streaming, podcasting, Skype calls and music
If you are on the lookout for a good quality mic for recording vocals with a professional touch then the Blue Yeti is an ideal choice.
Unlike the AT2020, this microphone has many features such as:
- Headphone volume knob
- Mute button
- Gain knob
- Pattern selector
- Custom metal stand
This microphone delivers good response to bass, crisp highs that result in optimum sound quality. It can be used for commentary, voiceovers and podcasts too.
The plug and play feature coupled with professional sound makes it the perfect choice in the given price range.
Along with the mic, the box contains the USB cable required for connecting the device to the computer and powering the mic.
A user manual and metal stand are also provided. The stand has a metallic silver finishing and the height can be adjusted as required.
==>> For a perfect recording experience you might consider buying a pop filter for your Yeti.
===>>> In addition, if you’re interested in getting a solid mic stand for this device, you should definitely check out our article here.
AT2020 VS BLUE YETI – PROS & CONS
PROS OF AT2020
- It delivers crystal clear sound which is ideal for home-studio recording, voiceovers and podcasts.
- It has very low self noise which makes it a highly sophisticated digital recording device
- Due to the use of low-mass diaphragm, the AT2020 has better frequency response and transient response
- It is compatible with Windows as well as Mac.
- It does not have the gain control feature that allows user to adjust the volume directly from the mic. Hence one has to access the computer to set the sound levels which can be annoying.
- The height of the stand provided with the mic is not adequate.
- The headphone jack is not part of the package.
- It records only in one mode which is the cardiod mode.
PROS OF BLUE YETI
- The Blue Yeti offers 4 different pattern selection options namely bidirectional, cardioids, stereo and omnidirectional
- It is packed with features such as gain control, zero-latency and mute button.
- It is compatible with Windows as well as Mac.
- 3 condenser capsules make the Blue Yeti the perfect choice for recording in any situation
- The Blue Yeti weighs 3.9 pounds and hence quite heavy. Therefore, portability of the mic is a cause of concern.
- Assembling the mic is quite tricky. There are many washers, screws and rings that are required to keep the mic on the stand.
AT2020 VS BLUE YETI – COMPARISON
The below section of the article will help you decide if you should opt for Audio Technica or Yeti.
When one talks about features, the Blue Yeti undoubtedly wins over the AT2020. It has a number of useful features such as gain control, mute button, 4 recording patterns and volume knob for the headphone.
On the other hand the Audio Technica’s mic does not have gain control, mute button or volume control buttons. It supports recording in only Cardioid mode. But what AT2020 lacks in terms of convenience it gains in sound quality as it produces high quality sound recordings.
Both products are well build microphones. They are made using good quality metal and are strong and sturdy. Both the mics have metal grills that shelter the mic capsules situated below it.
The only thing that sets the two mics apart is the stand. The stand provided with the Yeti is very well built and robust. The user can adjust the height to meet his/her requirements.
In contrast, the stand provided with the AT2020 is a disappointment. It can hardly support the weight of the mic and the user has to place one foot on it in order to support it.
The overall sound produced is one of the deciding factors while choosing a good microphone and this is where AT2020 scores big time.
The AT2020 is more attuned for managing high frequency than the Yeti. Hence the sound produced is much smoother compared to Blue Yeti which is slightly harsher.
Music from a guitar, rapping and singing can be recorded better using AT2020 as it was originally designed to be a studio microphone which was converted to USB mic later on.
The Blue Yeti is more suitable for voiceovers, commentary and podcasts.
If you’re looking for a best microphone for rap vocals then from the two mics mentioned above, Audio Technica’s product would be my bet. However, if you’ve got the money you should definitely go for XLR version instead of USB.
THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING
What will you use the microphone for? This is one of the first things to consider before buying the product as there are different mics for different purposes such as singing on stage, home recording, etc.
It is imperative to gain basic understanding of the various terminologies and technical specifications.
Hence one must be familiar with terms such as polar patterns, frequency response, proximity effect and sensitivity in order to be able to choose the ideal mic.
Before investing in the product, it is also important to check out the various accessories bundled along with the mic. The package must include some of the basic essential like stand, mounts and cables.
AT2020 vs Blue Yeti – Bottom Line
So AT2020 vs Blue Yeti – which is better for you? Both are the best selling plug and play microphones selling in the market today for low-medium price range. If convenience is a top priority, then the Blue Yeti is more suitable for you. But if you do not wish to compromise on the sound quality then the Audtio Technica’s product is a good buy. What is your opinion on this battle? Which mic do you prefer?
Last update on 2020-11-30 at 19:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API